Varsity Boys Football · Football Rolls Past Beavers in Season Finale

Fresh off their big win at Fairmont last Friday night, the varsity football team headed to Beavercreek for the final game of the 2018 season looking to build some momentum for the future.  A 28-point first quarter and a 52-point first half was just what the doctor ordered in yet another game played in a steady rain.

Beavercreek started the game with the ball and after the Elks defense held, the offense took over at their own 2-yard line.  This proved to not be a problem for the offense as they quickly moved downfield and capped the drive when junior running back Bryce McMahon scored the first of his four touchdowns on the night from 4-yards out.  Senior Brandon Walters added the PAT and the Elks had a 7-0 lead with 8:36 left in the first quarter.  The defense again gave the ball back to the offense and they once again found the end zone.  This drive was finished when freshman quarterback Chase Harrison scored from a yard out.  Walters’ PAT made it 14-0 with 4:58 left in the first quarter.  Following a Beavercreek fumble deep in their own territory, the Elks scored their second touchdown in just 14 seconds when McMahon scored from 2-yards out.  Walters’ kick made it 21-0 with 4:44 left in the first quarter.  The Elks got the ball back once again and the end result was the same as the previous three drives.  McMahon reached the end zone for the third time and Walters once again connected on the PAT to increase the Elks lead to 28-0 with 1:45 left in the first quarter.  That would be the score as the quarter came to a close.

Early in the second quarter, the offense went right back to work.  This time they scored through the air as Harrison hit senior wide receiver Corey Burnette with a 40-yard touchdown pass.  Walters was again true and the Elks lead was now 35-0 with 9:36 left in the first half.  After getting the ball back again, the offense made it 6 for 6 on the night when Harrison scored his second touchdown on a 5-yard run.  Another successful PAT from Walters put the Elks up 42-0 with 5:51 left in the second quarter.  The only chink in the defense’s armour for the night came on the next Beavercreek possession as they were able to go the length of the field and score when Sebastian Rendon ran it in from 3-yards out.  Austin Bounderant added the PAT to cut the Elks lead to 42-7 with 3:45 left before halftime.  That would turn out to be the only touchdown allowed by the defense over the final ten quarters of the season.  The offense would answer right back when McMahon scored from a yard out with 1:09 left in the first half.  Walters’ kick was true and the Elks lead was now 49-7.  The defense would force yet another turnover on the Beavers’ next possession and the offense would cash in when Walters drilled a 35-yard field goal as time expired.  As both teams headed to their respective locker rooms, the Elks held a commanding, 52-7 lead.

The second half was played with a running clock and neither team could score again and the Elks had their second straight victory, 52-7.

The defense forced three turnovers, all fumbles, which were recovered by seniors Kyle Moyer, Max Wynn and Sebastian Lis.  Corey Burnette had six receptions on the night to set a new single season record with 68.  McMahon only had 11 carries on the night, but took 4 of them to the end zone and Harrison ran the ball 7 times for 116 yards and two scores.  McMahon also caught 2 passes for 59 yards.

On Saturday morning, the JV team held on to defeat the Beavers, 22-19, at Centerville Stadium.  That was followed by the freshman game which was won by the Beavers, 28-21.

With the win Friday night, the varsity team finished with a 2-8 record overall and a 2-2 record in GWOC East play, good enough for a third place tie with Fairmont.  The JV team finished 2-7 and the freshman were 5-5.